Sunday, February 3, 2008

Should I Have Gotten a Patent?

A few months ago I was walking though the Bed, Bath & Beyond, and a TV remote control catches my eye. I wasn't shopping for a remote, nor did I need one, but what was remarkable about the the remote was its size - it was huge. It looked to be about 12''long and 6''wide (which coincidentally is how I describe myself on Craigslist. Hey-ohh!).

Then weeks later as I was combing through the Sunday newspaper, I saw the Jumbo Remote in a JC Penney ad. I pulled the ad, and set it aside so I could show it to you...

JC Penney Ad

Of course with the vast power of the internet at my fingertips, I could have just simply Googled "jumbo remote control."

Web Site with the Jumbo Remote

So what's my point? I'm glad you asked. Back in the 1990's I use to do cartoons for the local cable commission newsletter. These single panel cartoons alway had some sort of television related gag. For example take a look at this one...

Notice something familiar? Oh right, it's about a giant remote control! If I had only known back then I was sitting on such a lucrative money making idea. I could then today be cruising around on my fifty million dollar yacht, drinking mimosas with a bunch of sexy models at my side.

Well I don't really know how lucrative the jumbo remote control market is, but I imagine it's huge because it makes for a more dramatic post.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

David - that's funny..my girl bought her 2 year old nephew that jumob remote for Christmas because he's obsessed with playing with remotes. lol. I'd like join you on the yacht btw.

David W. said...

Interesting, I never thought of the toddler demographic. This jumbo remote has remarkably wide marketing possibilities.

You're welcome on my imaginary yacht anytime Jay. And if you're ever in the area, please feel free to drop by my imaginary mansion. It's got a kick ass pool and game room.

Anonymous said...

Well written article.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails