Monday, October 26, 2009

Monster Monday #4: The Scary Ghost

For my last Monster Monday I've departed further from the original drawing than ever before. I don't know if that's a good thing.

I made the drawing above some time in middle school, and I remember I was trying to draw something super scary. This time it was a sinister shrouded ghost with glowing red eyes. Hooded ghosts are a dime a dozen, and even back then I was attempting to make my ghost different. I intentionally stretched the proportions of the neck (maybe I was influenced by E.T.), and gave the ghost an X-ray look with a visible skeleton. I don't think I was very satisfied with what I drew since I didn't complete the drawing. Also the little doodle in the bottom left is sorta mocking the ghost.

For my 2009 update, I wanted to get as far away from the cliche shrouded ghost as possible. So I made the ghost an alien. I liked the stretched out neck of the original, and that works for an alien. The bony appearance works too, and I got to indulge my six pack abs fetish (after countless hours of doing ab exercises, I've only manged to get something like a 2.5 pack in real life unfortunately) by giving my alien an unearthly set of abs. I then thought what's the scariest thing that supposedly "real" aliens do to people... You know what I'm talking about, so I don't need to tell what the device he's holding is used for. The vague S&M leather gear getup I gave my alien works for this aspect as well.


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Those are both fantastic illustrations. The first one reminds me of Shadow Weaver from She-ra a bit, and the second, is donning Skeletor's colors! Beautifully done.

David W. said...

Wow you're right, it is Skeletor's colors!

I wasn't even thinking of that. I took the purple from the original sketch, and with the glowing blue skin and muscles I was thinking more of Dr. Manhattan when I was drawing him.

Thanks for the compliments Jay.

corporate brochure design said...

Fabulous illustrations. More i like the second one donning Skeletor's colors! Beautifully done.

Anonymous said...

WOW…superb illustration..beautifully simple, yet it delivers the message!!! looks cool..great work buddy ;)
Brochure Design

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails