Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Revenge of the Travel Brochures from the Darkside Part 4: Stars Hall of Fame


I've got a few different brochures from the Stars Hall of Fame in Orlando, Florida, and I promise to post them in their entirety one day soon. But just for Halloween I wanted to spotlight a specific feature of this now defunct wax museum.


This brochure is from 1982, and the Stars Hall of Fame had invested in a $1.2 million expansion. You can see for yourself some of the new offerings this expansion brought, but I think you'll agree the coolest is Vincent Price's Monster Manor.

I had hoped someone out there in Internet Land had posted some pictures of Monster Manor, but the only picture I could find was from a Florida newspaper...

The above artists rendering is from the May 6, 1982 edition of the Ledger, and yeah, Monster Manor did sorta look like that I guess. You see, dear reader, I personally experienced the "magical, mysterious, maze-like Monster Manor."

Unfortunately I was young, and don't remember much about it.

I was reading the brochure description, and I don't remember any of that stuff. I don't remember the Wolfman, talking or moving walls, or ghosts. There were creepy and eerie noises, if you consider a thunderstorm creepy and eerie. It looked like a spooky castle on inside with maybe a dozen horror movie scenes depicted in wax. I remember there was that scene from The Exorcist where Regan's head spins around. As for "Jeckyll becomes Hyde, as if by magic, right before your eyes!", well there might have been some Pepper's ghost illusion I guess. There was a scene (I want to say it was from The Fly ) where an actor (or more accurately a teenager making minimum wage) pretended to be a wax figure, and would suddenly jump at you. It's sad that my clearest memory is of some fat guy tourist near the exit who'd shout "boo" to people as they walked by him. What a jerk. Me and my mother went through the Monster Manor alone (my father had gone through ahead of us. My father was an impatient man, and would walk way ahead of the family all the time), and we didn't need any random weirdos getting in on the action.

If anyone reading this personally experienced Vincent Price's Monster Manor, please leave a comment. I'd love to hear what you remember.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This looked pretty cool. Almost all of the haunted attractions nowadays feature actors running around trying to scare you. I still prefer dark rides or walk throughs that don't include people getting all up in your face. Give me a haunted mansion in Disney any day.

custom brochure design services said...

Nice travel brochure....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails